Family leave also called parental or maternity leave is the time one takes off from work for the birth or adoption of a child. Have you taken Family leave? Did you find it fair? Or did you feel cheated? What would you like to see changed if possible? This post is specifically about family leave in the United States and we would love your insight. If you leave feedback, please let us know where you reside within the US or abroad. We’ve just been approached by someone in radio broadcasting to inquire our readers with the following questions for an upcoming segment on maternity leave.
In the future, we plan to also compare maternity leave of the US to countries around the world but for now we are focusing on the US and even more specifically the state of Texas; and the cities of Dallas and Houston! We appreciate any and all feedback!
So let’s talk about Family leave: Do YOU feel like you got a fair deal?
Regarding Family Leave Packages from Work:
1) Did you have to pay premiums of your health/life insurance up front before you left? Or was your maternity leave covered under short/long term disability insurance and who paid for that? What did this look like?
2) How long did you have off? Was this time off given by your company or did you have to use short/long term disability?
3) Did/do you get stipend for baby care?
4) Was your bonus affected by your family leave? Was there accommodations to your bonus scheduled based on your time off?
5) Do you feel like you got a fair deal with your family leave?
6) Does your company or your spouse’s company offer paid paternity leave?
7) Does your company fall under the Family Medical Leave Act? How do they comply with it? How do they work around this program?
8) Does your leave include accommodations for adoption (both as a biological mother and adoptive family), surrogacy, foster care, or kinship adoption/fostering?
Again, we appreciate any and all feedback and your time in sharing your voice. And remember please let us know where you reside within the US, or abroad, and to leave comments below for this post, not on facebook, so that the broadcasting agent can view. Thank you!